SEVEN GOLDEN RULES
We strongly believe that discipline and control originate from respect towards every part of the KEA community. We have Seven Golden Rules that serve as the basis of the behavioural conduct of the institution:
- We are gentle – We do not hurt others.
- We are social – We live amidst unified bonding of love.
- We are kind and helpful – We do not hurt anybody’s feelings.
- We are obedient – We respect and obey our seniors and teachers.
- We are honest – We do not cover up the truth.
- We work hard – We do not waste our own or others’ time.
- We look after property – We do not waste or damage things.
Upholding this philosophy, children adhering to these rules are rewarded with tokens of appreciation, while children intentionally violating them are subjected to pre-notified sanctions.
KEA is a school that is built on excellence. This is evident in everything that we do, and this is also evident in our boarding houses. School rules are intended to ensure the safety and welfare of pupils and the smooth functioning of the school community. We aim to provide a comfortable, living space for our wards. Each student has a bed, cupboard, trunk etc. There is a separate resident warden for the boys as well as the girls. The goal of our institution is to ensure the independent and responsible development of our pupils. We are committed to providing a safe, secure, suitable learning and living environment for our wards. We aim to encourage students to be self-reliant and to inculcate the habit of studying without prompting.
- The residential schools play a very important role in the formation of a child’s habits, ideals, attitudes and perceptions, and in preparing them in a befitting manner in order to face the day to day challenges of life. So, all students come under school rules from the beginning of their journey to the school until the end of their journey back home. The rules are the basic guidelines; these are suitably modified as per the requirement and betterment of the institution and the student fraternity from time to time.
- Rules are made for students to realize that in following them, they learn to respect the freedom of others.
- Students must maintain a high standard of manners in every walk of life.
- Teachers, along with the Captains and Vice-Captains (Class/ Houses/Dorms), are responsible for the discipline of the school and for the enforcement of all rules.
- The school Disciplinary Committee will decide the course of sanctions in case of a serious breach of disciplinary matters. The authority of the Principal is final.
- The school reserves the right to expel students whose progress in studies is consistently unsatisfactory or whose conduct is harmful to other students.
- The school reserves the right to give mandatory TC to any student at any point of time whose parents/guardians/relatives misbehave with teachers or any staff members or if they are found to be ill-mannered or unfit for an educational institution.
- Immoral activities, bullying others, grave insubordination, stealing or extortion of things from other students, use of slang/foul language, contempt of authority, vandalism, breaking bounds, damaging school property, misbehaving with teachers or any staff members are some reasons for immediate expulsion or rustication
- All the activities and movements of the students in any and every field will be with the permission and overall guidance of the teacher or warden.
Morning Assembly is compulsory for all the students, except those having scheduled classes or those who are sick / unwell.
- Keeping the solemnity of the occasion, proper decorum must be maintained.
- The four houses conducts the Assembly week wise, for which points are allotted based on the overall performance.<
The following areas are out of bounds (i.e. students are not allowed to go without due permission):
- Teachers / staff quarters, school office, and staff room.
- Doctor’s Chamber or Infirmary, except the sick students.
- The swimming pool and the playground, except at games time and other specified times.
- Class room and dormitories other than the students own dormitories and class room.
- Dining hall, except at meal times, and kitchen at all times.
- Art & Craft Room, Hobby Rooms, Music Room, Library and all Labs after class hour or after the particular specified hour, except with special permission.
- Going outside the School Campus without a school escort.
- Students visiting staff-residence(s) require permission of the Vice-Principal.
- Games and P.T. are compulsory for all students except those on restriction list prescribed by the Medical Dept. or those who are having scheduled classes.
- All students must be punctual and properly dressed for games and P.T.
- No one is allowed to leave the play ground before finishing the games. If any such need arises, he/she should take permission from the P.T. instructor.
- Students on medical restriction will not play games without the specific permission of the doctor.
- If any injury occurs during the games or P.T.; it should be immediately shown to the Nurse.
- Everyone must be on time for all the snacks and meals. In exceptional cases, due permission has to be given by the concerned authority.
- The entry in the dining hall should be done briskly and quietly.
- Everyone should take their allocated seats and stand patiently for the ‘PRAYER’, being conducted before every snacks or meals. No students should change place without permission.
- Decency and decorum must be maintained in the dining hall.
- Students must strictly follow the table manners and etiquettes.
- Students must not waste food and should show their plates to the duty teacher before leaving the table.
- Students should not talk or shout inside the dining hall.
- Students are not permitted to bring any sort of tuck into the dining hall.
- Complete silence must be maintained in the library.
- The library is opened to all the members of the school as per the library timings.
- The library is opened to all the members of the school as per the library timings. or.
- Books from the reference section must not be borrowed by any student.
- All the newspapers, periodicals and books must be handled with due care.
Students should always be dressed neatly in the prescribed School Uniform, Games and Hostel Dress whenever applicable. Informal dress is permitted only on Sundays/Holidays/Excursion/Outings etc.Clothes and shoes that are not suitable or indecent will be confiscated and not returned.Only those items specified in the school clothing list will be brought to the school.Track suit must be worn during morning P.T.Games dress must be worn from 2 pm – 5 pm on all days, except Sunday ( 4 pm – 5 pm). Students must wear hostel dress every evening.All boys must have short and decent hair cut. Keeping spiky and long hair is strictly forbidden. Girls must tie their hair in a proper way with red ribbons and black clips.
NOTE : Jewellery, Make-up sets, Hair Gel, Hair Cream etc. are strictly forbidden.
- For each academic session, regular weekly tests, and three Term Examinations are conducted.
- Appropriate weight-ages of weekly tests, summer assignments, project work and Term exams are considered for the final Assessment of the student.
- Failure is more than two major subjects will be considered as fail. Students repeating the same class for two consecutive years will be terminated.
- Failure in one or two major subjects in the final Assessment may have to appear for a retest at the beginning of the new session.
- Any student resorting to any type of unfair means in any test / exams will be appropriately penalized and disciplinary action taken.
- All students in the hostel are under the overall charge of the Warden
- No students will enter other dormitories without seeking permission of the respective Dorm-In charge or Warden.
- Dormitories should be reasonably quiet at all times.without permission.
- All the students must be out of bed immediately after the rising bell.
- Students must be washed properly, neatly dressed and beds made tidily before breakfast..
- Clothes and other belongings must always be put away tidily in the respective cupboards.
- Borrowing of clothes, shoes or any item(s) is forbidden.
- Cupboards must be tidy at all times and must not contain any food items.
- Each items of clothing and every belonging should have the name of the student marked.
- Camera, Walkman, CD’s, Cash (if any) etc should be deposited with the warden.
- Cleanliness should be strictly maintained in all the dormitories.
- There must be no talking after lights out.
- Children must not misbehave with the ayahs, who work for them.
- Items to be brought from home, and given by the school have been indicated in the School Prospectus.
- Should a student be allowed to leave the campus on special grounds he/she must be report to the Principal on his/ her return.
- Applications for leave for marriage should be sent in advanced by the parents to the Principal. Parents will be responsible for travelling arrangements
- Any students who have to undergo any medical checkup may be allowed to go provided his parents have taken the Principal’s permissions in advance.
- Leave of absence will be granted only in exceptional circumstances like illness or death in the family and for the marriage of sister or brother and not of a cousin. Such leave will be granted only by the Principal.
Parents must intimate the School Office immediately if there is any change of address of correspondence or there is a change in their telephone contact number.
All the students must join the school on the notified day and time at the beginning of each term. Similarly, a student may not leave before the end of the term. The date of leaving /reporting will be given on the academic schedule of that academic year. No appeal/request shall be entertained on this issue. If any student do not report on the reporting day on medical ground, s/he will have to submit (i) an application duly signed by the parents/guardians (ii) Prescription (iii) Hospital/Medicine Bill (iv) Medical Certificate (v) Fitness Certificate. The Doctor’s certificate only will not be taken into consideration.
- For reporting late, a sanction amount @ Rs.500/- per day will be imposed, unless the Principal is informed and he is satisfied with the reason for arriving late.
- The parents/guardians should drop their ward/s in the school. Or, if intimated to us in advance through writing and if the same is granted by the school authority, we can arrange escort for the students from the airport.
- Students unaccompanied by their parents/guardians at the time of reporting will not be allowed to report.
- The students should report in neat and tidy uniform with trimmed hair. No hair colour, gel etc to be applied.
In special cases, if the child has to be admitted to a Nursing Home or taken to Specialized Doctors, the cost of the treatment must be paid by the parents. In case of accidental injuries too, parents are expected to pay the fees charged by the hospital. The medical form, available with the Admission Form is to be duly completed and given to the office. Students using spectacles should bring one additional pair and deposit it in the infirmary, along with the prescription.
Stringent disciplinary sanctions can be imposed on the students for untidiness, unpunctuality, indecent dress, unparliamentary behaviour, wasting food, rude and abusive behaviour towards elders, abusive language or breach of any other house/school rules. Judicious sanctions may be imposed on a child by the teacher as a corrective measure and not to humiliate a child. The school will follow that – “A word of caution is a much better way than punishing students mindlessly”. The sanction will be appropriate keeping in mind the nature of the offence.
Good manners, a sense of responsibility and tidiness are expected of children at all times. Violent, Bullying and threatening other students or violent and dishonest behaviour is not permitted, nor is the possession of fireworks, dangerous weapons, cigarettes, alcohol, illegal drugs or pornographic material etc., i.e., other non permitted materials.
Each child is allowed a supervised list of toiletries e.g. soap, shampoo, detergent, eatables and other required supplies to keep at school. Every Child will have a lockable Trunk which will be kept in a secure room.
A barber is provided as per need for the boys. No hair colour, tattoos etc are permitted. Fancy hair cut or colouring/highlighting of hair by the girls is prohibited. The school provides a laundry service for school uniform/house wear/ bed sheets/ pillow cases. All items must be engraved with the children’s names. Children will wash all other items themselves. The students should hand over the school uniform as a set, not as part as per the scheduled day.
All children will pay a refundable caution/security fee, which will be refunded after completion of education. If TC is issued to any student in the middle of the Session, the same will not be returned. Admission & Registration Fees are non-transferable and non-refundable. There will no refund of fees if any student is withdrawn from the school mid-term. If any student takes TC during the session, i.e., before the completion of the academic session, s/he will have to pay the fees, dues etc for the whole year.
The students will have to pay a sanction amount of Rs. 500/- for issue of Duplicate Mark sheet, Certificate, Identity Card etc.
Students can avail Outing / Tour (Local/National/International), Movie Show, Shopping or any kind of recreational activities only if they prove their best in the academics and follow/obey strict discipline, punctuality & the prescribed rules and regulations.
ATTENTION TO CIRCULARS: Parents are requested to read carefully and take suitable action to all the circulars issued by the school from time to time.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR TELEPHONE NUMBER: All parents/guardians must submit the working telephone numbers, email id etc at the time of admission. For any change of address of correspondence, contact number or email-id etc, it should be immediately intimated to the School Office.
DISCIPLINE OF CHILDREN: Improper conduct reflecting character, persistent irregularity, continual neglect of studies, disobedience, insubordination and disrespect towards any staff member, malpractice at tests and examination, thieving (stealing), money collection, immoral behaviour, smoking, chewing tobacco, gutkhas, use of drugs and liquor, bullying / ragging, willful damage of school property and such like offences may lead to even immediate expulsion from school without prior information.
CHILDREN PARTICIPATION IN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES: The school encourages all children to participate in various activities such as games and sports, trekking, excursion, etc. While every precaution is taken to render these activities safe, the school does not accept responsibility for any unfortunate accident that might occur. Parents are therefore asked to sign a declaration in this regard.
CORRESPONDENCE: All letters concerning children, except those of a personal nature, should be addressed to the “Principal” by designation. It will be of great help if parents mention the class and section of the child.
FEE PAYMENT: Fee payment norms and schedule of payment should be done as given in the separate leaflet of Fee Structure for the academic session.
TELEPHONE: Parents may call their children on the specified telephone numbers once a month. For network issues the school authority will not be responsible. Parents/guardians are expected not to call on other days so as to avoid inconvenience.
For students up to Class VII:
For students from Class VIII to XII:
VISIT TO THE SCHOOL: All parents / guardians are requested to visit the school to meet their wards on scheduled day(s) and time as specified in the academic calendar or intimated through phone, messages or mail time to time. Parents/guardians/local guardians may take their ward/s for outing or meet them in the school as per the specified schedule on Parents Visiting Days. No other visitor, except the child’s parents/guardians or local guardian, will be permitted to meet a student. Local guardians (possessing identity cards issued by the school) will be permitted to meet their wards or take them out of the school campus. Relatives /friends wishing to see a child will be required to produce a written request from the parents. The school gate will permit visitors (parents/ guardians etc) inside the school campus only during the meeting time period. All visitors are requested to be seated in the Reception and not to go beyond the specified point as earmarked. Parents/ guardians are requested to come with suitable Identity cards so that they can produce the same on demand. They are requested to be accompanied by maximum of 2-3 individuals only, with proper identifications. Frequent visits by parents/local guardians tend to upset the children and affect their progress. Hence, parents/local guardians are kindly requested not to visit on other days.
Attending the Parents-Teachers Meet (PTM), whenever scheduled/as per the academic calendar, in order to interact with the concerned subject(s) and the class teacher is mandatory.
Parents are not permitted to enter the children’s dormitories without the permission of the Principal /Vice-Principal.
Parents are welcome to meet the Principal in his office by appointment between 11.00 am to 1.00 pm from Monday to Saturday.
FOOD: The school provides a balanced diet. Parents are requested not to bring / send food parcels, birthday cake or other eatables to their children. Only fruits may be given to their wards during the scheduled meeting days.
VALUABLE ITEMS: Children are not allowed to bring any valuable article such as expensive cameras, jewellery, expensive watches, CD players etc. with them. Children up to Class 5 are not allowed to wear wrist watches in school. If such non-permitted items are found, the same shall be confiscated and will not be refunded. (Please go through the LIST OF PERMITTED ITEMS FOR KEAIANS).
REPORT: Academic Progress Report Card, Medical Check-up Card and overall Assessment Record Card of every child will be available with the Class Teachers during the PTM. Parents/guardians are requested to sign those report cards during the PMT.
PRIVATE TUITIONS: There are no facilities for private tuition in the school. However, children who are weak in a particular subject are given extra tutorial help arranging remedial classes.
FAMILY ISSUES/POBLEMS OF CHILDREN: Parents/guardians are requested to intimate the Principal any kind of special problem with regard to the child or the family so that due precautions can be taken or assistance for redressal of certain problems can be ascertained from the school counselor. Strict confidentiality will be maintained in such cases.
An undertaking of commitment and compliance & this list of do’s and don’ts will be signed by both parents and student to be admitted into KEA.
The Principal will always welcome your suggestions, comments and opinions. Do feel free to write to her because not much can be achieved without parents co-operation and support.